Tuesday 21 April 2009

Adventures in Oxfam #1

Wow, I can certainly get things done when I put my mind to it, can't I? Today I ventured into Ealing and despite some tempting metal (Darkthrone, Godflesh) I decided that for my first installment of this new series I would review

...

...

(ooh it's tense)

...

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Stephen Malkmus


Backstory

I decided to get this album, not just because it was the cheapest one that caught my eye, but also because I've heard two songs already ("Jenny & the Ess Dog", "The Hook") and I rather like them. More importantly, I've never been a huge fan of Pavement, even though I like a lot of very similar bands (Sonic Youth, Guided By Voices, Dinosaur Jr etc.), so I'm hoping this album provides a way in to Pavement, because I really feel I should like them more than I do.

Review of Artwork

Front cover's a bit boring. Inside is a bit better, with some interesting collages, a comprehensive list of who plays what instruments (which I always like, the more detail the better, as far as I'm concerned), and a picture of Malkmus with a horse. 6/10

For this first edition, I thought I would review the album live, in real-time. I might do it again, depending on how well it goes. Anyway, let's get this show on the metaphorical road!

1. Black Book

After a slightly exotic opening, some nice guitars kick in. It's become standard, if not thrilling, fare. The chorus is reasonably catchy, though. A surprisingly long guitar solo in the middle, with those pan-pipe type things from the intro. I hope the rest of the album's better, or I may be slightly disappointed. Annoying bit of jamming at the end.

2. Phantasies

A more immediate start. Is that a xylophone? Handclaps, sunny vocals, very chirpy and upbeat. This is better. Ooh it's gone a bit dark and psychedelic. Only for a bit, though. I think I like this.

3. Jo Jo's Jacket

Odd spoken word bit at the beginning. It's by Yul Brynner, Wiki says. This is the first track I've noticed the lyrics being especially good. Malkmus' usual blend of surrealism and wry observation. This sounds very fresh and nicely constructed. Perhaps I've heard it before? I dunno. It's good, though, even if it isn't actually a stab at Moby. Nicely constructed, too.

4. Church on White

Bit more laid back. Perfectly enjoyable but hasn't hooked me in, yet. Sounds like the slower, less memorable Pavement songs, which is notable because the album hasn't sounded very much like Pavement so far. Picks up a bit right at the end, but then fizzles out a bit. Not great.

5. The Hook

"At aged 19 I was kidnapped by Turkish Pirates" is a brilliant opening line. This one's definitely got that laid-back, "slacker" feel to it. Like the squelchy, quasi-funk bassline. Never really goes anywhere but stays in a nice groove for the whole song.

6. Discretion Grove

Odd, cut-up tape style beginning. Then starts a pretty standard, driving riff. I think this was the first single from the album. It's quite fun, but it's not really very... special. As with a surprising number of songs from this album, the ending is bizarrely the best bit. Put the best stuff first, Stephen!

7. Troubbble

Shortest track on the album. Has a toy-piano sounding thing on it, and some interesting background synths. A bit more busy and all over the place than the rest of the album, and all the better for it. Very good.

8. Pink India

Slighttly country sounding, acoustic guitar-heavy one, this is. This is the longest track on the album, I note. Let's hope it does something decent with the runtime. Quite like the electric guitar sound in this - nice contrast. Hmm, this has managed to hold my attention quite a lot better than I thought it would. Starts going a little weirder in the last 2 minutes, which I obviously like. Quite a lot of different ideas in here. Will definitely listen again.

9. Trojan Curfew

Another quite country opening, this time with slide guitar. I really am a sucker for slide guitar. This is pretty gorgeous stuff. I think there's old-school organ in there too. Man, this track does everything right. Good coda, as well.

10. Vague Space

"I came to crave your spastic touch". Nice. I wasn't so keen on this, but there's more old-school organ and what sounds like steel drums. It's gone a bit bonkers too. Much better.

11. Jenny & The Ess Dog

I already know that I really, really like this song. Great lyrics, superbly constructed, and it does sound a lot more direct than quite a few of the songs on here. It's a very lovely/slightly bittersweet track and probably the best thing on here.

12. Deado

Slightly otherwordly sound. Sounds a bit like it was recorded underwater, or during an acid trip in the 60s. Quite a different sound to the rest of the album, and quite refreshing as a result. Again with the codas, though.

So what did I think, overall? I was pleasantly surprised all in all, I guess. The album actually got quite a lot better towards the end, which is unusual. I'm not sure it'll make me a rabid Pavement fan, but I might stick "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" on soon, seeing as it's all sunny and that.

Thanks for reading!

Horatio

PS. ANY feedback at all would be absolutely lovely.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like The Hook more than Jenny and the Ess Dog, but I know we agree to disagree :)

Also, Stephen Malkmus is kind of pretty!

Chris JC said...

I only ever bought one album in the Ealing branch of Oxfam which was, for reasons I can't explain and certainly can't justify, was Madonna's "American Life".

I have never listened and no longer know where it is.

Adam said...

I'm pretty sure I introduced you to Jo Jo's Jacket. If not, could be because I didn't know you when I was in first year, bumming Malkmus like a lusty cabinboy. Trojan Curfew is also brilliant. Lyrically intriguing...what quite is happening? "A trashed blonde Scandi mistook me for a Swede..." so plausible it must be autobiography amongst the surrealism? Who knows?