Monday 11 May 2009

Knee Deep at ATP

Gnnnrrr ATP so good. Can't think properly. So tired and ill. But worth it. Best weekend ever. Just amazing. I don't feel up to doing a full review of all the music yet (though I'm sure I'll write one for one of my sites & put it up here) so now have a very long list of mostly non-musical highlights of the weekend:

-Geordie from Killing Joke drinking from a bottle of wine during their set.
-Some guy randomly lifting me up during same set
-Being so disorientated after Sleep (seriously my trousers were still soaked with sweat the next day) that I bought a load of sour sweets, for reasons I don't quite understand
-Being pushed along in one of those tall, thin trolleys by a very inebriated friend of mine at about 1 in the morning. Somebody randomly joined in as well. It's a miracle we didn't hit anyone
-Shouting myself hoarse to the DJ set right at the end to "Debaser" and other classics. I then witnessed a human pyramid (which collapsed) and took part in some kind of weird knee-sitting chain thing (which also collapsed)
-After above someone who happens to work for ATP talked about there being a "cock party" on the beach and mentioned how he'd like to get two men so drunk that they'd slap their cocks together rhythmically.
-During a technical problem in Marnie Stern's set her bassist told a story, pretending to be Marnie, about her rejecting John Cusack when she was 17.
-Some guy, whilst throwing up, saying to a girl who was clearly quite disturbed "It's just rock n' roll, honey, don't worry about it"
-There was an art exhibiton, and I popped my head in at one point to see there was a live improv jam going on on the floor of the gallery
-Lydia Lunch's spoken word set. Surprisingly good.
-Beirut asking if he should "put a donk on it"
-Future of the Left being generally funny, describing ATP as an "alternative festival of beards and flannel shirts" and throwing love hearts into the crowd. I caught one.
-Coming up with yet another pseudonym: "Justin Parenthesis"

And, possibly best of all, meeting the bassist from Parts & Labor so many times yesterday that I felt I was practically in the band. There's also an awesome photo of the two of us where it looks like I've pinched him on the arse. Observe:
















Wow, that's a lot of highlihts. Guess truly it was a memorable weekend.

Peace out

Horatio x

3 comments:

Chris JC said...

You cultivated a serious amount of chin beard for that. Good show.

I'm sure you're sick to fucking death of all the nautical mentions that the style must inspire, but you seriously need a corn cob pipe, dude.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic weekend. I can't wait to hear all about it in more detail. xxxxxxxx

Horatio Outside said...

Chris: I have a sailor's hat and jacket, actually. I spy a new musical persona. How about Cap'n Crunk, the finest rapping sailor that there ever was?