Wednesday 12 December 2007

A Wimba-way A Wimba-way

So, Atlas. Good isn't it? You possibly need to hear the album version to appreciate it or at least hear, as I keep pointing out, that it sounds somewhat like Can covering "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" (though I can't take all the credit for that witticism, I'm afraid). There's also a wicked version on "Later With Jools Holland" that must have led to some serious some heads scratching, especially as they were apparently on directly after Crowded House.

I chose Atlas as Video Of The Week (all that time ago, I've been a bit slack with the write-up) because it was a sort of anthem of last term, being played almost constantly at clubs and house parties, much to the chagrin of a friend who doesn't really like the song. A similar, but less strong role, was played by the stuff off the latest Of Montreal album, especially "Heimdelsgate Like A Promethean Curse".

It's quite interesting how these things happen, and a social group can develop it's own sort of personal soundtrack, which is usually specific to a certain time as well. Last term was most definitely the term of Roxy Music, especially "In Every Dream Home A Heartache". Man, if there's a better song about having sex with an inflatable doll I don't wanna know about it.

I could write more about this, as its pretty interesting from a sociological perspective, but I've got enough of a headache as it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You mean like Durkheim's conscience collective?

I haven't been on holiday long enough yet.

Sx