Thursday 26 February 2009

Another Possibly Obvious Post

Well it's not even the end of February and I've already heard two excellent albums (Animal Collective's "Merriweather Post Pavillion" and Dan Deacon's "Bromst" - review here http://www.musosguide.com/?p=2530), one very good album (Mi Ami's "Watersports" - reviewing forthcoming) and one quite good album (Trail of Dead's "The Century of Self"). Man, being a music reviewer is pretty sweet. I think I'm finally becoming a proper muso, just like I always wanted.

Some other things due for release this year that I am looking forward to:

Mastodon - Crack The Skye (I hear very good things about it)
The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love (should be interesting at least)
Oneida - Rated O (as my interview should have shown)
The Russian Futurists - The Weight's On The Wheels
New Sonic Youth album (last 2 have been rather good)

I'm thinking 2009 might just be a good year, though it tends to be the bands you've never heard of that end of making a lot of the best albums.

So what have you enjoyed so far this year? What are you looking forward to in 2009? Why do I think anyone will answer these questions?

1 comment:

Chris JC said...

You make me feel like a musical underachiever.

Over ten years ago someone I knew with a home studio setup said "I don't buy music any more, I make my own" to which I said "but you still need to hear other peoples' music, lest you end up on an ouroboros loop of inanity that you can't get off of as you don't know any better!"

Actually, I didn't quite say that, I'm sure what I said was better.

Anyway - I still get hold of music that's new to ME but having a bit of trouble hooking onto anything proper new. For old time's sake I chanced my arm on the new Prodigy album and it does sound exactly like you'd expect, in that it's an alleged tearing dance record made by old men.