Friday 13 February 2009

Recent Listenings

Part 1 of at least 2 (but possibly 1).

The first months of the year for me are often spent catching up on the albums from the previous year I didn't manage to listen to first time around. With that in mind today I listened to the new Squarepusher album, Just A Souvenir.

I'm not quite sure what to think about it. It's certainly a bizarre enough, in an unsettling, hellish jazz-fusion manner. I'm not quite sure what I think of Squarepusher generally (apart from it is good that he is an astounding bassist, but bad that he is so much better than me), but I think I like this.

What really interests me about it, though, is the batshit insane "story" behind the album (see here for a longer version, that sheds no light at all). It's almost as good an idea as the one for the Penguin Cafe Orchestra, essentially a hallucination bought on by Simon Jeffes having eaten some bad fish.

It's exactly the kind of nonsense I would and do make up and I've gotta admire Squarepusher for going through with it. Man I wish I had the chops to pursue one of my ridiculous ideas through like that.

(For the word "chops" substitute one of the following: musical talent, energy, ambition)

Hopefully some more of my reviews will be up soon, so I can link to those instead of struggling to come up with content.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "giant coathanger" concept just made it for me. Nothing about the album can disappoint me.

In order to do something like that yourself, you have to set your silliness threshold much lower. When calling our band "CHINZ" seems like a good idea, that is the right time.

Horatio Outside said...

I maintain that one can write a concept album about, say, an invasion of the earth by giant mechanical crabs, without having to resort to calling one's band "Chinz".