Tuesday 17 March 2009

These Are A Few Of My Favourite Things

The excellent Muso's Guide, who are lucky enough to count yours truly among their contributors, are apparently doing a feature on their favourite ever albums. This, naturally, got me thinking so I thought I'd compile a loose list of my favourite albums, as I've been meaning to do this for a while.

Just to be awkward, though, I decided to divide them up into three categories (yes I am that indecisive): definite favourites, probable favourites, and possible favourites. Think of it like this - if I was asked to name my 100 favourite albums the first group would be make up the albums from 1-33, the second 34-66, and the third 67-100, or something like that. It made sense to me, ok?

Anyway, enough of my tiresome rambling. Let's get this show on the road (until I comment, with albums I've forgotten about).

The Definites

At The Drive-In - Relationship of Command (possibly my favourite album ever)
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
The Fall - Hex Enduction Hour/This Nation's Saving Grace
The Brian Eno-produced Talking Heads albums (More Songs About Buildings & Food, Fear of Music, Remain in Light)
Brian Eno & David Byrne - My Life In The Bush of Ghosts
Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians (assuming this counts)
Trans Am - Red Line
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead - Madonna
The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs

The Probables

Oneida - The Wedding
Melvins - Houdini
Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth
The Fall - Perverted By Language (I really do love The Fall)
Life Without Buildings - Any Other City
Killing Joke - Killing Joke
Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo
Animal Collective - Feels
Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It In People
The Hidden Cameras - The Smell of Our Own
Fugazi - The Argument
The Decemberists - Castaways and Cutouts
Guided By Voices - Bee Thousand
Minutemen - Double Nickels On The Dime
Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley
Weezer - The Blue Album/Pinkerton

The Possibles

OMD - Architecture and Morality
Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea (standard hipster choice)
The Futureheads - The Futureheads
Mastodon - Leviathan
Stereolab - Emperor Tomato Ketchup
Wire - Pink Flag
Broadcast - Tender Buttons
The Mountain Goats - Tallahassee
Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear The Heart Beating As One
The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Parts & Labor - Mapmaker
Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

Phew! I think that's everything. What does it say about me that I can think of roughly 40 albums more or less off the top of my head that I would consider my "favourites"?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

odd,

just as i read this, one armed scissor came on the radio.