Saturday 10 November 2007

Pointless Filler no. 1

It's just occurred to me that since I now have a) a blog b) a laptop and c) a party going on next door that'll keep me up for a while yet I can now do all those music-related quizzes that were going round facebook a while ago which I couldn't do at the time. And they'll add some content to this blog pretty quickly. Fancy that! It might also give you a vague impression of my general music taste. That's how I'm justifying it, anyway.

Anyway:

If your life was film what would the soundtrack be?

So, here's how it works:
1. Open your library (iTunes, Winamp, Media Player, iPod, etc)
2. Put it on shuffle
3. Press play
4. For every question, type the song that's playing
5. When you go to a new question, press the next button

(There are 2 more instructions but they're frankly stupid, so I'll skip past them).

Opening Credits:
Metallica - Orion

That's just fucking great. The first fucking song and already I look stupid. Still it's pretty epic and has a great bass solo so I guess it sums me up. Except for the epic bit.

Waking Up:
Radiohead - Treefingers

That'll do.

First Day At School:
Million Dead - The Kids Are Going To Love It

If only the kids did indeed love "it". Perhaps school should have been more like this.

Falling In Love:
Mastodon - Naked Burn

Jesus Christ. Internet quiz, you have failed me.

Fight Song:
Les Savy Fav - Scotchguard The Credit Card

I'm going to start ignoring these in the hope that, like horoscopes, I start only focusing on the stuff that actually applies.

Breaking Up:
Elliott Smith - In The Lost and Found (Honky Bach)/The Roost

I declare my plan to have worked.

Prom:
Nick Cave - Nobody's Baby Now

Bizarrely, this was actually played at my prom. I lie, of course, I'm just trying to make this exercise seem less hopelessly pointless.

Life:
Roxy Music - Do The Strand

What am I to infer from this? That I am a fashionable dance craze? This is almost becoming worthwhile, in a twisted way.

Making babies:
Four Tet - And They All Look Broken Hearted

This song is not terribly sexy.

Mental Breakdown:
They Might Be Giants - Miniumum Wage

Seriously, listen to this. This could feasibly be what the inside of your head sounds like during a mental breakdown. If it was, maybe mental breakdowns wouldn't be so bad.

Driving:
Jesus and Mary Chain - Cut Dead

I'd have to be driving something very slow. Like a proto-shoegaze milkcart. That would be excellent.

Flashback:
The Velvet Underground - Sister Ray

Man, this would work almost anywhere. It completely reminds me of the time me and a group of transvestite drug addicts in New York killed a stripper.

Getting back together:
The Earlies - One Of Us Is Dead

That's just become my favourite answer, by far.

Wedding:
Slint - Breadcrumb Trail

All my family love Slint, and would definitely insist this be played at my wedding.

Birth of Child:
The Nice - America/Second Amendment

No child of mine will enter this world to a 70s prog-rock instrumental protest song. What am I saying? All of my (theoretical) children will enter the world that way.

Final Battle:
Kevin Blechdom - The Porcupine And The Jellyfish

Excellent.

Death Scene:
Sonic Youth - The Sprawl

Dunno. The end might work. Otherwise I'm chalking this up on the "board of fail".

Funeral Song:
Animal Collective - Derek

Now I'm getting ideas.

End Credits:
Throbbing Gristle - Hot On The Heels Of Love

YESS!!!

So what did that achieve? Hardly any of my favourite bands came up and it took far longer than I expected. Note to self: be less lazy in future.

2 comments:

Chris JC said...

Well, America IS pregnant with promise and anticipation after all.

It's just its unavoidable murder at the hand of The Inevitable that really lets the side down.

Also:

Minimum WAAAAAAAGE!
KEE-YAAAAAAAAA!

Horatio Outside said...

That's easily the best transcription of the beginning of "Minimum Wage" I've ever seen.