Monday 12 November 2007

What costume shall the poor girl wear?

I really, really want to go to All Tomorrow's Parties next year.

At the moment I'm having real trouble deciding between the Pitchfork-curated weekend one (Of Montreal, Les Savy Fav, Hot Chip, Caribou etc.) and the Explosions In The Sky-curated weekend two (Broken Social Scene, Trail of Dead, Dinosaur Jr, Animal Collective, Four Tet etc.) Besides the music I also want to go because next year will be my last chance to go for a few years, with finals at that, and I was readjusting to life at work last time and didn't want to fuck things up.

I went in 2006 (as you've probably guessed) and it was honestly the best festival I've ever been to (not that I've been to very many) and a fun packed few days to boot. I shan't relate the stories because they'll inevitably sound boring and 3 of my 4 travelling companions might conceivably be reading this, but I shall tell you about the bands. Broken Social Scene put on what is probably still the best live show I've ever seen and The Decemberists, Fiery Furnaces and Dinosaur Jr were amazing also. We got to see a Joanna Newsom set in a very hot room, where she previewed all of Ys, purposefully avoided The Gossip, virtually unknown at the time, because their blurb was too wanky and saw Lightning Bolt, which was just immense.

Hilariously pretty much the first band we saw were the batshit-crazy experimental noisemakers Magik Markers, who divided opinion in our group pretty much half an hour. Thirty minutes into their hour set they briefly stopped the noise and announced "This is our last song", which prompted a guffaw from me that I suspect they weren't quite anticipating.

The festival itself is an interesting one. For those who don't know it's held in holiday camps; a real plus as you get a chalet complete with bed, shower and kitchen, and the headling bands choose the rest of the bill. All in all it's like going on holiday in your childhood only to find lots of amazing bands playing in the Bingo Hall, and it's fucking excellent. I can't recommend it highly enough.

So, yes I really want to go. Somebody stump up £140 so I can or at least advise me which weekend to go on.

3 comments:

Chris JC said...

Remix gone on back burner again as I have one of my irritating bouts of hearing loss in my left ear.

It really does throw your entire perception out more than you'd imagine.

Keeping well?

Horatio Outside said...

Very well, thanks.

It's great how we have so many new ways to communicate with each other. I don't feel like I can post on your facebook wall for a while, as I've somewhat saturated it and it's slightly embarassing.

Sorry to hear about your ear, guy.

Chris JC said...

Pardon?