Friday 16 November 2007

Video Of The Week 16/11/07

Since it's Friday and I'm seemingly unable to do any work whatsoever I thought I'd start this new feature, the nature of which you can probably guess from this entry's title.

I've thought long and hard about what the first Video Of The Week should be, and after much deliberation I settled on this:



It's the shamefully unknown band The Monks, live on German TV in 1966. The songs are "Monk Chant" and "Oh How To Do Now" respectively.

The Monks were a group of American GIs stationed in Germany in the 60s. Like The Velvet Underground, who were also active in the 60s, they were miles ahead of their time and have been cited as an influence by an influence by The Fall, among others.

Thanks to Derry Tomlinson, whom I have never met and possibly never will, for introducing me to them, although he probably doesn't know it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You'll meet Derry eventually. Maybe not till I get married, but it will happen.